IE Courses: Students must earn a C in ALL industrial engineering courses (IE prefix for the course number)
Professional Enhancement Elective: Students must earn a C or better in ANY course taken to fulfill the professional enhancement elective.
Non-IE Prerequisite Courses: Often students ask what grades are required in non-IE prerequisite courses and course series (e.g., chemistry, calculus, physics, and engineering mechanics). A few specific key prerequisite courses are identified here, though students should review the course descriptions before enrolling in any class.
- CH 1223 - Chemistry 2: C or better required for certain Engineering Science (ES) electives
- PH 2223 - Physics 2: C or better required for ECE 3413 – Intro to Elect. Circuits (ES Elective)
- EM 2413 - Eng Mechanics 1 (Statics): C or better for ES electives
- EM 3213 - Mech of Materials (ES Elective): C or better for ME 3403 – Materials for ME Design (ES Elective).
- EN 1103 - Comp 1: C or better required to take EN 1113
- Computer Programming Elective: C or better required for IE 4933
Review Course Catalog for prerequisite grade requirements, MSU Course Catalog
Courses where a D is permitted: The courses in which students can earn a grade of D on their transcript and still graduate are:
- Fine Arts Elective
- Humanities Electives
- Math/Science Elective (except when it is a C or better prerequisite course of another
- Engineering Science Electives (except when it is a C or better prerequisite course of another)
- ACC 2023 – Managerial Accounting
- EC 2123 – Microeconomics
- PSY 1013 – Psychology
- EN 1113 – Comp 2
- CH 1211 – Chem 1 Lab
- GE 3513 – Tech Writing
- MA 3113 – Linear Algebra
- MA 2743 – Calculus 4
- A grade of F is never accepted.
- Please note that for transfer courses, the university does NOT accept any grades of F. A student must make a grade of D or higher on ANY transfer class in order for it to apply toward their degree, unless a C or better is required per the catalog term.